Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Banned Books Cafe Remembers Gerald Ford

Although I wasn't paying much attention to Watergate, Richard Nixon and his successor, Gerald Ford, as the 38th president of the United States, I do remember something that happened when President Ford stumbled into Cottonwood City to visit the Alamo Shrine.
Somebody handed Ford a tamale, which is a local type food that is wrapped up in a corn shuck.
According to what I heard, Ford tried to eat said tamale, shuck and all.
Maybe it's just a rumor, but I believed it at the time.
It kind of reminds me of that other vice president's potato(e) incident.
I voted for Jimmy Carter when he ran against Ford (or whoever) in 1976. It was the first time I was old enough to vote.
My fondest memory of Gerald Ford was Chevy Chase's impersonation of him.
My second fondest memory of Gerald Ford is trying to picture him standing in front of the Alamo, trying to eat a tamale with the corn shuck still wrapped around it.
It can be done, but it's easier if you discard it first.

No comments: