Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Next Job? Truck Driver!

I've worked at many jobs in my life. Most recently, I was proprietor of the Banned Books Cafe, which is now an online cafe. We'll put up links to what we're doing online very soon. Before that I was a newspaper reporter. Before that I went to school full time and worked in the Home Depot garden department, selling truckloads of peat moss to gullible customers. Before that I was a newspaper editor, but that was sheer hell, so I went back to school. Before that I worked for a hospital system, in the PR department, where I built their corporate web site, which they've since torn down. Before that I worked in a print shop, and printed up business cards for my carpet cleaning business. Before that ... I was a proofreader for a publishing company in Austin. Before that I was a newspaper editor, but I got tired of the publisher's mission to print only "positive" news.

One of these days I'll try to list all the jobs I've had in my life.

But today, I decided to become a truck driver. Now I have to come up with the cash for truck driving school ... actually I have to just come up with cash.

But there's trucking companies who will hire you to drive for them and will pay your truck driving school tuition. Not cheap, one local college charges $4,000. So I'll try to get hired on with a company that will pay my tuition in exchange for driving for them for a couple of years.

Now all I've got to figure out is which company I want to drive for, and if I want to drive south to north, west to east, up or down.

I wonder how it's all going to work out, at this point.

No comments: