Saturday, September 27, 2008

Greetings from Sandy Point



Somebody named this harbor after a guy named Dennis Dreyer. I don't know what he did but it was good enough to have his name on it.
Anyhow I jumped on the Jetty Boat this morning and crossed the ship channel to an uninhabited island. On the way back I spotted these brown pelicans resting on some boulders.
There's an osprey that lives high on a pole near a marine science institute near the beach. Locals tell me he lost his mate three years ago, and now he sits up there and screeches in an attempt to attract another mate. I hope he gets his wish.
I've been here a week now, worked two days in new job, and looking forward to another week, my workload will double.
But I'm doing what I like to do, and the island life suits me.
Right now I'm at a coffeehouse on the main road that leads to the ferries, looks like people coming in for the weekend, and some are leaving.
The beach was very nice today, it was pretty trashed out from the hurricane; things such as a computer monitor and a jacuzzi floated onto the shore from farther east but cleanup efforts have restored it to its present state. Right now there is no seaweed or Portugese man 'o wars floating in with the tide.
And some guy (allegedly) faked a drowning in the surf to apparently avoid facing criminal charges, very strange, there have been reported sightings of him.
More on that later...
I parked my travel trailer in an RV park that's about one-third mile from the beach, and only about three blocks from the ship channel, and I've been exploring my neighborhood.
This town has more buildings that have been moved around than anywhere else I've been.
Also, I pumped up the tires on my bicycle and rode to the beach today, and found out how hard it is to ride a bike in soft sand.
My legs will be hurting for sure tomorrow.
But that's okay ... because now I'm on "island time."

2 comments:

paul bain martin said...

Keep it up Michael. ... A vida boa!

[Bets' and I were in Nazareth this weekend for some Terri Hendrix and Lloyd Maines. The playas had water--and lots of birds and other life. Was really beautiful--and peaceful--up in that part of the Panhandle! (Of course the feedlot-manure aroma is a bit strong.)] pbm

Nervana said...

Hey! i've been virtually "sitting on a pole screeching" for nine years.....with no result. i hope that bird has a long life span!