Wednesday, September 27, 2006

We Need A Vacation

When we opened the Banned Books Cafe in June, we let the kids take over the entire operation and we went to Port Aransas, we let our kites out and we sat in the burning sun for three days, watching the ships go in and out past the jetties. Now, more than three months later, we long for a longer road trip, with sights and sounds we've never experienced before. I've been to thirty-one states and three foreign countries, and I've seen Murmansk, Russia through a periscope on board a nuclear submarine (that doesn't count as a vacation). I'd like to add three, four, maybe five more states to my list. And since I used to live in the San Francisco/Bay Area back in the early 1970s, I would like to see how it has changed in all those years. People tell me I won't recognize it. Horace Greeley said "Go West, young man," and we're thinking about taking him up on his offer. Banned book to take along for the ride? I think I'll re-read George Orwell's "1984." Maybe it will put things into perspective for me.

No comments: